Today, we tracked the pre-prod vocals for Chameleon; overall I’m getting back into singing a little everyday; the juicing and working-out is helping a lot in staying hydrated, active, increasing my oxygen intake and expanding my breathing capacity. I'm trying to keep the 30 min cardio workout per day; but realistically I am able to do this only 4-5 times a week.
For the vocals, we are using a Bayerdynamic ribbon micorphone. I had a lot of fun with the reverb we are using (Alti-verb) - one day I'll write a whole article about warm-up exercices.
The song is shaping-up pretty well, especially after a weekend of tweaking the drums! It seems that drums bring out the life of the song! For the verses, we decided to keep it simple, bass, voice and only some pads in the background. For the patterns, we are trying to come up with something that grooves with the sultry bass; it seems that we have found what we need.
Tempo wise, we found out that with the groovy bass, we can use a 'half time' option for the snare which sits the chorus pretty well with the way I sing. You'll see what I mean when you hear the song :)
Also, for the first time ever I have 2 parts to a verse (1st part slow and groovy and the 2nd part a bit more upbeat and prepares for the chorus (check out the importance of dynamics).
The next step is to contact some local Montreal musicians for back-vocals (or 2nd voices), cello, violins, semi-hollow guitar, darbuka possibility maybe also an oud! Should be fun!
If you know someone who would be able to help out, just contact us!